Saturday 11 July 2009

'What's it all about Alfie?'

Metaphorically, this morning was a very long Tom Waits song. The afternoon's tempo was upped slightly levelling to a slow dirge. Not only Alfie had a hang dawg expression.
The 'footfall' in the ACA tent was, as always, in the hundreds, possibly even thousands. The good people who attend the 'Scottish Transport Extravaganza' certainly traipse the ACA Craft Tent with good intention and many of the Irregulars did very well ( Bertiegirl is going out to buy a cashbox on Monday) and that is good. If trade at my stall had been appalling I would have been pleased. It was worse than that. 'What's it all about Alfie?'

A gentleman strode into the marquee with confidence, aplomb, and came straight to my table. ' Ah!' he said scanning my wares, 'You sell framed photographs?'
I replied, 'Yes I do?' with a not too pleading look.
'I'm looking for paintings.' he said.
I directed him to The Meffan.

As we reflected on the road home to fish suppers, an empty house, and the prospect of constructing a 'Closing Down Sale' banner and selling the car, life is not all about profit. No, no, no, it's about spending time with friends, even those who pass by ignoring you, at least you saw them. It's the spirit lifting attitude of the ACA Irregulars who laugh in the face of not breaking even while Bertiegirl searches for a calculator. It's a learning experience. As the Hopi say, 'Teaching should come from within instead of without'.

So here's the TOP Ten list of things to be thankful for today at Glamis;
1) Hamburger at lunch time with cheese.
2) Meeting Alison, Rebecca, Pat, Alana, Sarah, Jenny, Mary, Stacie and Anna.
3) Watching Leona and Pauline pass by.
4) The uplifting spirit of the ACA Irregulars (particulary Sheena Georgina).
5) Bertiegirl sharing her chips.
6)
7) The upset, exotic and extravagant Tessa Mendez forgave me for a misplaced comment.
8) The sun shone at T in the Park.
9) I wasn't at T in the Park.
10) Alfie

But as Tom says, 'You gotta hold on.'

I attach a rather poor photo of a very attractive nine week (?) old Shitsu, Alfie. What's it all about?

2 comments:

Blue Daisy said...

What happened to the mysterious number 6? Was it just too good to mention? See you later, probably. x

Brian said...

Number 6 was when Alfie got trod on by the heel of a cowboy boot. I was careful not to mention it because all you free-thinkin', animal / chicken lovin', dog strokin', veggie cookin' Irregulars ......would not have approved of my sentiment and I would have been 'ostrichised'. This message is in code and should not be taken literally.